About Me

My name is Christine. I'm a visual artist, musician, traditional storyteller, DV survivor, and have been a fulltime caregiver for an individual living with various diagnoses. After my marriage, I learned how to play various instruments, started exploring various means of creative expression, worked with at-risk teens/families, volunteered with the local crisis lines, participated in starting up a family resource center, completed my BA, furthered my studies towards becoming an art therapist, managed homes for adults living with disabilities, and facilitated therapeutic music/art sessions. I was doing everything I could so my children and I could have a brighter life, present and future. My physical health, however, continued to show evidence of too many chronic stressors over many decades. This blog is about my journey in discovering peace and better health by meeting life in the most basic and, in my opinion, the most rewarding of ways - by focusing on the riches of simplicity. If you're a new visitor to my blog, you might be interested in starting here: Finding the Riches.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Upcycled Baby Skirts



Fairy/Pixie Skirt:
Wispy, angled points and soft elastic waist. Upcycled from a curtain.
 
I found an airy white curtain at the thrift shop, trimmed the edges into pixy wisps, slipped a soft elastic into the curtain rod sleeve, and stitched up the back. Very simple with only very basic cutting and sewing skills required.
 


Ballerina Fairy Skirt:
Layers of netting tied onto a soft elastic waist.
Upcycled from mosquito netting.
 
I found mosquito netting at our local thrift shop. I cut it into numerous strips of the same length then later decided to trim some of the lengths to add more dimension and bounce for a little ballerina, though having them all the same length was just as lovely. I hand-stitched the two ends of soft elastic together then simply tied the netting strips onto the elastic by creating a netting strip loop then pulling the ends through the loop so the netting hung on the elastic. I was surprised by how the elastic ended up being stretched by the process, and I ended up trimming and re-stitching the elastic. Due to the time it took to cut the strips, this skirt was much more labour-intensive than the one above.
Next to no sewing skills required.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!