About Me

My name is Christine. I'm a visual artist, musician, traditional storyteller, DV survivor, and have been a fulltime caregiver for an individual living with various diagnoses. After my marriage, I learned how to play various instruments, started exploring various means of creative expression, worked with at-risk teens/families, volunteered with the local crisis lines, participated in starting up a family resource center, completed my BA, furthered my studies towards becoming an art therapist, managed homes for adults living with disabilities, and facilitated therapeutic music/art sessions. I was doing everything I could so my children and I could have a brighter life, present and future. My physical health, however, continued to show evidence of too many chronic stressors over many decades. This blog is about my journey in discovering peace and better health by meeting life in the most basic and, in my opinion, the most rewarding of ways - by focusing on the riches of simplicity. If you're a new visitor to my blog, you might be interested in starting here: Finding the Riches.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Facebook

I'm not a pro-Facebook person.

I'd rather be painting, playing an instrument, writing, cooking, visiting with friends, talking with folks, felting, eating, singing, taking photos, colouring, etc.,etc., etc.

That said -

Being a single mom without a vehicle in the middle of Winter, however, leaves me semi-isolated.
I'm not able to go out with friends unless my son can come along or unless he's in respite. I don't have an issue with that because I do enjoy the life my son and I have carved out, but it really does decrease my time away from the house and my  time with friends, as well as my conversation skills with other adults. Being on facebook allows me to connect with folks I know. It also allows me to share joys, discoveries, my own journey and hear the journeys of other families who live with children who have various mental health/disability challenges. And I'm able to do all of that while I'm working on my computer otherwise.

Ever since I was a child, I've always sensed that we're here to contribute - that we're not just here to have fun and goof around, but to be a part of something that contributes to the increased well-being of others and the betterment of society and the global community as a whole. Being on facebook allows me to learn, share, show care, inform, advocate, be part of the larger community. It also facilitates the coming-together or folks who live with issues that would benefit from advocacy and allows me to be part of that even though I'm at home.

So, from someone who used to stay clear of Facebook and still does at times, there can be healthy benefits.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!